Skip to Content
Home Catalog Getting Started How to Enroll Placement and Assessment Services


Print Options

Placement and Assessment Services

Standardized assessment tests are no longer administered for placement into English and math classes. An English as a Second Language (ESL) test is still offered.

Placement results are used by academic counselors to determine readiness for specific courses and programs. For students enrolling in English writing and math, placements may be based on a review of their academic record or on a Guided Self-Placement. For English as a Second Language (ESL) students, placement will be based on either a remote assessment completed online or an assessment completed on campus.

For English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment times, please check:

There are no fees for students who are taking Los Rios Placement assessments.

If you feel like you have a disability or have a verified disability and need accommodations for English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment, then contact the Disability Services and Programs for Students (DSPS) Office before you make an appointment for ESL assessment:

If you have an accommodation on file and choose to assess without accommodations, then you may not be given an extra assessment attempt with accommodations within a timely manner.

Getting Started With Placement and Assessment

What to Bring

  • Students must complete the online college application process and obtain a student ID number before testing/placement.
  • Students must present a valid photo ID (school or government issued) for testing. The following are acceptable forms of ID:
    • Driver's License
    • High school ID card
    • College ID card
    • State or Federal ID card
    • Passport
    • Tribal ID card
    • Naturalization card or Certificate of Citizenship
    • Green card

Placement Re-Evaluation Petition (PREP)

ARC has changed its method for placing students in the English and mathematics course sequences to use more high school record information. Students who graduated from a U.S. high school within the last ten years and who provided inaccurate or incomplete high school information on their college application may want to have their English and/or math placements reevaluated.

Please note students must be term active at ARC (enrollment within the last two semesters) by either completing the online application or the supplemental enrollment form.

To receive your course placements in English and math, submit your completed and signed Placement Re-Evaluation Petition (PREP) form and your high school transcript to the Admissions Office. Please follow the submission instructions on the cover page of this form. Be sure to submit all pages, including the cover page with the instructions, to

View and download the Instructions for Placement Re-Evaluation Petition (PREP) Form.