Skip to Content
Home Catalog Getting Started How to Enroll Submit Transcripts and Test Scores


Print Options

Submit Transcripts and Test Scores

Unofficial Transcripts and Test Scores

Students can submit unofficial transcripts from colleges and universities outside of Los Rios – as well as unofficial test scores – to use for educational planning with a counselor and to meet prerequisites.

Email unofficial transcripts and test scores to or bring them with you to a counseling appointment.

Official Transcripts and Test Scores

American River College (ARC) requires official transcripts and test scores from colleges and universities outside of Los Rios if you are pursuing a degree or certificate, plan to apply for financial aid, or receive veterans educational benefits. If you are planning to graduate from ARC and you have transcripts from any institution other than a California community college, it is required that you make an appointment with an academic counselor to complete a curriculum planning sheet prior to petitioning to graduate.

Submit by Mail

Mail official transcripts and test scores to:

American River College
Attn: Admissions
4700 College Oak Drive
Sacramento, CA 95841

Submit by Email

Official transcripts can be sent electronically to, but the email must come directly from the college or university.

Contact Admissions and Records at (916) 484-8261 if you have questions.

Transfer Credit Acceptance

We accept coursework from colleges and universities that are accredited by the following regional bodies:

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

We do not accept coursework that is remedial or post-baccalaureate in nature. Transfer credit may not be reflected on your records, but it is kept on file for use in completion of degrees or certificates.

Foreign Transcript Evaluation

Students who want to use coursework from a foreign (non-US) college or university need to have their transcript(s) evaluated through a company that is a current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). When you get your transcript evaluated, make sure you ask for:

  • A course-by-course evaluation
  • A breakdown of coursework into general education academic areas
  • Whether unit values are in semester or quarter units
  • What coursework is lower division, upper division, or graduate level

Be advised that these evaluation services are fee-based. We highly recommend you meet with a counselor for further guidance on your educational goal before obtaining an evaluation.

  • Degrees from accredited institutions outside of the US will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis (see Board Policy P-7241: Graduation Requirements, section 2.3.7). All lower-division and upper-division credits completed will be accepted as elective credits that count towards an associate degree at American River College. No credits are granted for graduate-level courses.
  • Students who wish to be granted credit for specific American River College general education areas may meet with a counselor and provide English-translated course descriptions for course certification.
  • To determine course equivalency eligibility towards major requirements for a degree or certificate of achievement at American River College, the student will need to petition for course substitution with the advisement of their counselor. An English-translated course description from your prior university will be required in support of the review of these courses. Course descriptions may be available within the college/university catalog, where the courses were offered and completed
  • Foreign coursework from non-United States regionally accredited institutions cannot be used to meet California State University General Education-Breadth requirements, Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements, and associate degree for transfer requirements. Though four-year universities may accept international courses, the evaluation of such courses is determined independently by each transfer institution.