What is Institutional Accreditation?
Accreditation is a voluntary, independent review of educational programs to determine that the education provided is of uniform and sound quality. Being awarded accreditation ensures that an institution has been evaluated and that it met set standards of quality determined by the accrediting organization granting the accreditation. A college's accreditation is maintained by continued adherence to the set criteria. Courses offered at an accredited institution generally are transferable to other institutions and qualify for financial aid.
American River College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Post-secondary Accreditation and the US Department of Education.
ACCJC is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) as a reliable authority regarding the quality of education offered by the institutions it accredits in keeping with the Higher Education Act of 1965. ACCJC is also recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), which has established criteria that define a quality review system for accrediting agencies.
ACCJC accredits institutions in the United States, its territories and affiliates, with a primary mission of granting associate degrees; institutions accredited by ACCJC may also award certificates and other credentials, including bachelor’s degrees, if those credentials are within the institution’s mission and authorized by their governmental authorities. ACCJC may also accredit non-domestic institutions with a primary mission of granting associate degrees.
ARC underwent a comprehensive review for reaffirmation of accreditation in 2022. The review followed a formative/summative model and took place in two portions. First, there was a review of the Institutional Self Evaluation Report (ISER) that the college prepared to show how it meets the expectations for accreditation. Following this initial review, the College received a set of Core Inquiries that the review team would like to know more about. Second there was a focused site visit for the review team to gather additional information via interviews, data requests, and meetings to discuss the Core Inquiries. The Team ISER Review and Focused Site visit informed the review team’s report.
ACCJC Contact Information
- Address: 331 J Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Phone: (415) 506-0234
- Email: email@example.com
- See a list of upcoming ACCJC events and meetings.
- Any member of the college community or public may submit a third-party comment by completing the Commission’s online third-party comment form . A third-party comment assists the Commission as it considers applications for candidacy, accreditation, or reaffirmation of accreditation.
Additionally Accredited Programs
The following American River College programs are accredited by other external agencies.
- The Automotive Technology Program is accredited by the National Automotive Technical Education Foundation (NATEF).
- The Child Development Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education for Young Children.
- The Dietary Manager (Dietary Service Supervision) option is accredited by the California State Department of Public Health.
- The Fire Technology Program is accredited by the California State Fire Marshal's Office.
- The Funeral Service Education Program is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE).
- Address: 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097
- Phone: (816) 233-3747
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The five occupational Gerontology degrees are accredited by the Accreditation for Gerontology Education Council. The five Gerontology certificates of achievement are recognized as Programs of Merit by the Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE), which is the academic arm of the Gerontological Society of America (GSA).
- The Human Services Program is a recognized program by the California Association of DUI Treatment Programs (CADTP), which offers certification in alcohol and drug counseling.
- The Human Services option, Chemical Dependency Studies, is accredited by the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals.
- The Legal Studies Program is accredited by the American Bar Association.
- The AS Nursing Program is accredited by the California State Board of Registered Nursing.
- The Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
- Address: 361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Phone: (727) 210-2350
- The Respiratory Care Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Address: 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX 76021
- Phone: (817) 283-2835
American River College
Certificate of Accreditation
March 5th, 2018