On-Ground English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment
On-Ground Assessment Method and Time:
On-Ground session in the ESL Center (located in the Learning Resource Center) led by English as a Second Language (ESL) Faculty. Allow up to 2 hours.
- Students will receive an email confirmation with information to join their assessment session once they schedule an online appointment.
- Students should plan to arrive in the ESL Center 15 - 20 minutes before their scheduled time. If students arrive late, they will have to reschedule.
- On-Ground English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment results will be emailed to the students’ ARC email address within 5 - 6 business days. Learn how to access your ARC email.
- Learn how to find and send email messages from the ARC Homepage.
- Results will also be available in the students’ ARC eServices account in one additional day.
- Invalid Attempts: Students are not allowed to get English language assistance from a dictionary, a cell phone or any other device, a website, or another person while completing the assessment process. Students who do get English language assistance will not receive placement results and will be referred to ARC’s Disciplinary Officer. Those students will have to wait 30 calendar days to reassess.
- Reassess: A student may reassess one time, district-wide, after a 30-calendar-day waiting period.
- be available for up to 2 hours to complete the assessment process.
- bring a valid photo ID (school or government issued)
- Driver's License
- High School ID card
- College ID card
- State or Federal ID card
- Tribal ID card
- Green Card
- Naturalization card or Certificate of Citizenship
If you feel like you have a disability or have a verified disability and need accommodations for English as a Second Language (ESL) assessment, you should call the Disability Services and Programs for Students (DSPS) Office at (916) 484-8382 BEFORE you make an appointment for ESL assessment. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the video phone at (916) 993-3087 BEFORE you make an appointment. Note: If you have an accommodation on file and choose to assess without accommodations, you may not be given an extra assessment attempt with accommodations within a timely manner.