Skip to Content

Undocumented Student Admission and Enrollment Steps

American River College welcomes undocumented students! The term "undocumented" refers to a person residing in any given country without legal documentation. This may include people who:

  • Entered the US without inspection
  • Entered the US legally but overstayed
  • Have or previously had Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status
  • Are U Visa holders
  • Have Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Are in the process of legalizing

Not an Undocumented Student?

If you are not an undocumented student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!

What Type of Student Are You?

Apply to American River College

Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for American River College.

High School Seniors

If your high school completion date is before June and you are applying for the summer or fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated. Please note the “as of” dates outlined throughout the application.


  • Account creation: If you have a social security number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), then you have the option to enter it when you create an account. If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, then check the corresponding box(es) on the CCCApply application. An SSN or ITIN is not required to apply.
  • Citizenship page: Undocumented students may select other and no documents. This includes students with DACA.

Students who submit an application without a social security number (SSN) should contact Admissions Office.

Students Must Reside in California

Students who are not physically located in California may not enroll in online courses offered by American River College. American River College is not authorized to provide education outside the boundaries of the State of California.

Apply to ARC

Complete the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form

California regulations allow students who meet certain criteria to pay California resident fee rates.

Eligible undocumented students may be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at all public colleges and universities in California (including the California Community Colleges, the California State University, and the University of California) if they meet AB540, AB2000, and/or SB68 eligible requirements.

Not sure if you meet the criteria for AB540 eligibility? Contact the Admissions and Records Office.

To be eligible to receive state-based financial aid through the CA Dream Act Application (CADAA), students must be eligible for AB540, AB2000, and/or SB68, and have successfully submitted a Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form.

Students are not required to submit high school transcripts or diplomas with this form unless directed to do so by staff.

To submit the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request Form:

  1. Log in to eServices.
  2. Click Student eForms and Petitions.
  3. Select Residency to bring up your form options.
  4. Click Start an AB-540 eForm to begin.

Go to eServices

Save Money – Apply for Financial Aid

Financial aid is any source of funds that help you pay for college. We recommend that you submit a financial aid application to see what you qualify for! 

American River College's federal school code is 001232.

If you are not a US Citizen, then you may be eligible for the California Dream Act. You can submit the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) if you meet the non-resident exemption requirements under AB 540, AB 2000, or SB 68, and any of the following are true:

  • You are undocumented.
  • You have a valid or expired DACA status.
  • You are a U Visa holder.
  • You have Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

Submit CADAA

Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail

eServices is Los Rios' online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.

After your application is processed, you will receive an email with your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.

You will use your Los Rios ID and password to log in to multiple services, including Canvas, eServices, Los Rios Gmail, and instructional lab computers.

Vaccination Requirement

All American River College students who attend in-person classes or access in-person services must meet the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, either by being vaccinated or having an approved religious or medical exemption on file. Students can submit evidence of their vaccination status in eServices.

Create Password

Complete Orientation

New student orientation gives you important information to help you succeed in college.

Orientation gives new students a strong start at American River College by providing planning, support, and guidance. Learn about important forms and tasks you need to complete before you start classes.

You can start online orientation 24 hours after you get your student ID number. To complete orientation, log in to Canvas and find the tile for Los Rios Online Orientation.

Learn About Orientation

Check Your Math and English Placement

Your placement helps you determine which math, English, or English as a Second Language (ESL) courses you should enroll in.

Students can check their placement in eServices.

  1. From your eServices dashboard, click Academic Records.
  2. Click Placements to view your math and English placements.

Recent High School Graduates

If you graduated high school less than 10 years ago and you provided your GPA and the last math and English classes you took in high school on your application, then your placement information is automatically updated in eServices.

Older High School Graduates and Others

If any of the following are true for you, then you may need to submit your high school transcripts or use the guided self-placement process to receive your math and English placement:

  • Graduated high school more than 10 years ago
  • Left high school without graduating
  • Did not enter your high school information on your application
  • Attended a foreign high school

Learn About Placement

Meet With a Counselor and Pick Your Classes

Meet with a counselor to create an educational plan and decide what classes to take to meet your goals.

Enroll in Classes

You can enroll in classes online via eServices during or after your enrollment appointment window.

You will be assigned an enrollment appointment, which is the earliest date and time you can enroll in classes. You can find your enrollment appointment in eServices.

You can enroll in classes at multiple Los Rios colleges. To do this, log in to eServices and follow these steps:

  1. Click Manage Classes.
  2. Click Add Another College.
  3. Follow the instructions to add the college where you want to take classes for the selected term.

Enroll in Classes

Pay Your Fees

Pay your fees soon after you enroll to avoid being dropped.

Your tuition and fees are due soon after you enroll in classes. You may be dropped if your fees are not paid by the fee payment deadline. This is true even if you enroll in a class that starts later in the semester.

You can see how much you owe in eServices. From your dashboard, click Financial Account, then Account Balance.

Pay Fees in eServices

Email Steps

Download Steps

Download a PDF of these steps and save it to your device or print it.

Download PDF of this page

Get Help

Enrolling in Classes

Need help enrolling in your classes? Contact Admissions Office or the Student Support Center.

Personal Email

Students must use a personal email, not a high school email, to complete their application. Free email accounts are available from many sources:

Note: While all of the providers listed above have millions of users and are widely trusted to be reliable and secure, OpenCCC and the CCC Chancellor's Office do not endorse any particular email providers, and will have no liability should any issues arise with a particular email provider.

CCCApply Application

You only need to submit one CCCApply application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district – don't spend unnecessary time submitting separate applications for each college.

Student ID Number

After your application is processed, we will email you a student ID number and instructions for next steps.

CCCApply Account Recovery

Students who have created a CCCApply account must log in using the account they created; they should not create a new account. Students who forgot their username/password can use the "Forgot" icon on the CCCApply site.

Students who use this function and still cannot find their username/password can call the OpenCCC helpline. If they don’t have their username or password and aren’t able to answer security questions to retrieve that information, then the student will have to contact CCCApply directly.

American River College does not have access to CCCApply account information.


College Policy

American River College will not release any personally identifiable student information, including any data related to immigration status, without a judicial warrant, subpoena, or court order, unless authorized by the student or required by law.

College Eligibility

The California Community Colleges, California State Universities, and Universities of California are open to all students who meet the minimum requirements for admission, regardless of immigration status.

Financial Aid Benefits

Students can be confident that based on federal and state law, any information they submit on their college admission and/or financial aid applications will not put themselves or their families at risk.

Restricting Data Access

Directory information, which includes name, dates of attendance, and other factors, can be considered public information. Students may request that the college restrict access to their directory information by contacting the Admissions and Records Office.