English as a Second Language Department
Classes - online and on-campus information
We want to offer help with registering and understanding the different ways that you can take classes at ARC. There are some complicated definitions about online, partially online, face-to-face, synchronous, and asynchronous meanings. Read these presentation slides for explanations.
ESL Program Changes and Updates
Information about ESL courses & course numbers
Our ESL program has made some exciting changes! Many students want to learn English quickly and continue to earn certificates and degrees, and to transfer to 4-year universities. We offer Integrated Reading & Writing, Grammar, and Listening & Speaking classes. We have courses at:
- 30 level (beginning high)
- 40 level (intermediate low)
- 50 level (intermediate-mid)
- 315 level (intermediate-high)
- 325 (advanced low)
We also offer two courses (ESLW 340 & ESL 350) that meet university degree requirements for many majors in both the California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) systems. Before 2020, we offered separate reading and writing courses, but we don’t offer those courses now. If you are returning after a break in your studies, we encourage you to go through ESL assessment if you are eligible.
ESL Course Sequence
See the ESL Course Sequence Chart in the online catalog to see the order of ESL courses (from beginning to advanced levels). To find out which course you should take first, see the following Remote Assessment and Placement Information.
Please review the ESL Department Prerequisite Challenge Process if you are interested in challenging a course level in one of the skill areas.
The ESL department offers more than one certificate for ESL students. You may apply for more than one. After you pass all courses at one level with a "C" or greater, you are eligible for a Certificate of Proficiency.
The intermediate level certificates are Certificates of Proficiency. These certificates are for courses at the 40, 50 and 310 levels. Apply for an ESL Certificate of Proficiency online.
The advanced certificates are Certificates of Achievement and will appear on your transcript. These certificates are for courses at the 320, 340 and 350 levels. Please complete the online ESL Certificate of Proficiency form and submit a petition for a certificate. with the college.
Contact Professor Elizabeth Specker for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
American River College wants to help you on your road to success. Use the following links below to help you find information:
- Apply to be an American River College student. See the Student Support Center for application help.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) to apply for financial aid. Contact Financial Aid if you have questions.
- Contact Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOP&S) for help with college costs and taking classes.
- Contact Disability Services and Programs for Students (DSPS) if you have learning challenges.
- Learn how to get an on- or off-campus job through CalWORKs.
- How to start Canvas Video
- How to sign in to ARC Gmail account
- Get help with specific classes or subjects through Tutoring Services.
- Get help with general English language skills through the ESL Center. Take .5 to 1.5 units by working individually.
- Visit Technology Resources to get help with your technology needs.
- Learn about local basic needs resources
- Learn about local support on the Beavers Care page. The Beaver Cares page has help for food, diapers, financial emergencies, clothing, etc.
The English Language Learner and Immigrant Support (ELLIS) Club is a group of ARC students and professors who are here to help you!
Our ELLIS members speak Arabic, Dari, English, Farsi, Pashto, Spanish, and Vietnamese, and can help you in your first language. We know the college well and can help you understand the steps you need to take to be successful. If you need help, then fill out our online referral form and we will contact you.
For more information please contact: