How to Petition for a Certificate
Students can file a petition for a certificate using our online graduation petition form, or they can meet with a counselor to file a certificate petition. American River College does not automatically confer certificates because requirements vary from program to program.
To petition for a certificate, students must:
- Know their catalog year.*
- Complete all certificate requirements with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0.
- Complete at least 12 degree-applicable units toward the certificate at American River College. (This does not apply to Departmental Certificate programs that are less than 12 units.)
* Usually, students follow the current catalog year. However, if you are following certificate requirements from an old catalog, then you must have maintained catalog rights.
The following must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office for a certificate petition to be processed:
- Official transcripts of all coursework completed at colleges outside of the Los Rios Community College District
- Official copies of AP/IB/CLEP test scores, if applicable
- A copy of DD214-military discharge papers, if veteran desires credit for military units
- List of courses in progress if attending another college
- Official final transcripts will be required at the end of the semester for final certificate evaluation
- Copy of any required competency tests, if applicable
Students must complete all certificate requirements by the end of the semester in which they petition for a certificate.
Petition Deadlines for 2021-2022
- Summer 2021: Friday, June 25, 2021
- Fall 2021: Friday, October 1, 2021
- Spring 2022: Friday, March 4, 2022
Approval or Denial
Final evaluations begin after final grades are posted at the end of each respective term/semester.
You will be notified via email if your petition is approved or denied.
If denied, then you will be notified of the missing requirements and advised to submit a new petition. If approved, then your certificate will be posted to your transcript within three to four months after the end of the semester.
We mail certificates to the address listed on your petition, unless you choose to pick up your certificate. You will be notified when your certificate is available for pick-up.
|Petition Semester||Petition Deadline||Approval/Denial Date||Mailed or Ready for Pick-Up|
|Summer||Fourth Friday in June||Mid-November or December||Mid-February|
|Fall||First Friday in October||End of April||Mid-June|
|Spring||First Friday in March||Mid-September or October||Mid-November|
For the purpose of graduating or earning a certificate from any college in the Los Rios Community College District, a student who attends at least one session (whether quarter, semester, or summer) in each calendar year at any California community college, California State University, University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, may choose to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate, as follows:
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student was admitted to a Los Rios college
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college
- Requirements that were in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college
- A college may authorize or request substitution for discontinued courses.
- Students who change their major field of study may be required to complete those requirements for the major in effect at the point of change.
- For purposes of this section, "attendance" means taking classes in at least one session (semester or summer session) in each calendar year. Absence for attendance at another regionally accredited institution shall not be considered an interruption in attendance, per Los Rios Policy P-7242: Establishing Catalog Rights.
American River College offers two types of certificates:
Certificate of Achievement
The Certificate of Achievement certifies that a student has completed all required courses and is prepared to enter the career designated on their certificate. Certificate of Achievement programs are developed to provide vocational training for students who are not necessarily seeking a college degree. Certificates of Achievement require a grade of "C" or better in each course with a minimum of 12 degree-applicable units completed at American River College.
Departmental Certificates are intended to certify that students are prepared to meet specific occupational needs, upgrade skills, or advance in an existing career. A grade of "C" or better is required in each course leading to the Departmental Certificate. Departmental Certificates are not noted on transcripts.
Departmental Certificates require 15.99 units or fewer. For Departmental Certificates requiring one to 11 units, all units must be completed at American River College. For Departmental Certificates requiring 12 to 15.99 units, a minimum of 12 units must be completed at American River College.