The Science Success Center
offers individualized instruction in reading and study skills geared to support students' efforts in various science classes. Instructors meet with students weekly for 30 minutes and discuss different learning strategies and techniques that the students then try in their science courses.
The instructional modules tackled in this program include:
- Time management and class organization
- Reading textbooks and notes carefully through annotating and paraphrasing
- Note-taking methods
- Reading and understanding graphics in printed and electronic texts
- Graphic organization of information (e.g. concept mapping)
- Test-taking strategies studying for tests
- Test review and analysis
Science Success Center Highlights
- Flexible start dates, but enroll early to get the most benefit
- ½ unit of credit (General Science 90 or General Science 91)
- Credit/no credit (no letter grade)
- Possible instructor incentive (e.g. extra credit, homework points, etc)
- 6 -8 weekly meetings
- 30 minute appointments
- One-on-one attention
- Focus on study skills and time management
- Adaptable to any science class
- Flexible appointment times & extended hours
- Lots of openings if you sign up early
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff
If you are interested in signing up for the Science Success Center program this semester, complete the following steps:
- Click on the "schedule your appointment now" button and fill out the registration form.
- Stop by the Science Success Center (Room 491), call us at (916)484-8204, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment that best fits your schedule.
- If you haven't yet enrolled into the class (General Science 90 or 91), pick up an add slip from the center and enroll before your first appointment.
First-time students should enroll into GENSCI 90 Science Skills and Strategies I. This course offers individualized instructional modules designed to acquire or improve study strategies and skills for various science, nursing, or nutrition courses. A partial list of skills and strategies may include the following: science textbook comprehension, principles of learning and retention, note taking, annotating, discipline-based vocabulary, paraphrasing, reading graphics, test taking, scientific writing, and problem solving. This course is offered in a flexible TBA format of 27 laboratory hours in order to accommodate the student's schedule. Registration is open through the tenth week of the semester. This course is not open to students who have previously passed BIOL 490. Pass/No Pass only.
Returning students may enroll into GENSCI 91 Science Skills and Strategies II. This course offers individualized instructional modules designed to acquire or improve study strategies for science, nursing, or nutrition courses. Strategies include goal setting, the intensive study cycle, graphic organizers, constructing and interpreting graphs, mastering science vocabulary, self-monitoring while reading, coding method of reading, and advanced problem solving. This course is offered in a flexible TBA format of 27 laboratory hours to accommodate the student's schedule. Registration is open through the tenth week of the semester. This course is not open to students who have previously passed BIOL 491. Pass/No Pass only.
Walk into the SSC. We will set up an appointment for you and give you an add slip to take to the Admissions office on campus.
- Register using button for appointment system.
- Once registered, call us at 916-484-8204 to set up a recurring appointment. Please note that you will not be able to pick an appointment time by yourself.
- Come by the Science Success Center to receive an add slip.
- Take your add slip in person to the campus Admissions office located in the Administration building for quicker processing time
Once enrolled, come in for your weekly appointments to the Science Success Center. DO NOT miss your first appointment without notice because you will lose your assigned time slot.
Please note. We strongly recommend that you sign up and start our program as early in the semester as possible in order to increase your chances of success in science courses and also to ensure that you will get the appointment that best fits your schedule. Come by or call us during the first week of school.
Please Contact Science Success Center for more information.