Associate Degree for Transfer
A.A.-T. in Sociology
This Associate in Arts in Sociology for Transfer provides a path to students who wish to transfer to a CSU campus in Sociology and serves the diverse needs of students who wish to obtain a broad and an in-depth understanding of the field. Additionally, this degree allows students to learn the fundamental principles and practices of Sociology in order to create a solid foundation for their future personal and academic endeavors.
The Associate in Arts in Sociology for Transfer provides students with a major that fulfills the general requirements of the California State University for transfer. Students with this degree will receive priority admission with junior status to the California State University system.
The Associate in Arts in Sociology for Transfer (A.A.-T.) may be obtained by the completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum of a 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program outlined below (earning a C or better in these courses), and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education‐Breadth Requirements.
Catalog Date: June 1, 2021
|Course Code||Course Title||Units|
|SOC 300||Introductory Sociology (3)||3|
|or SOC 480||Introductory Sociology - Honors (3)|
|SOC 301||Social Problems||3|
|PSYC 330||Introductory Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences||3|
|A minimum of 6 units from the following:||6|
|PSYC 335||Research Methods in Psychology (3)|
|SOC 318||Introduction to Crime, Deviance, and Social Control (3)|
|SOC 320||Minorities in America (3)|
|SOC 342||Gender Relations in American Society (3)|
|A minimum of 3 units from the following:||3|
|ANTH 310||Cultural Anthropology (3)|
|GEOG 310||Human Geography: Exploring Earth's Cultural Landscapes (3)|
|PSYC 480||Honors General Principles (3)|
|or PSYC 300||General Principles (3)|
|PSYC 354||The Psychology of Family Life and Intimate Relationships in a Diverse Society (3)|
|SOC 309||Self and Society (3)|
|SOC 350||Sociology of Popular Culture (3)|
The Associate in Arts in Sociology for Transfer (AA-T) degree may be obtained by completion of 60 transferable, semester units with a minimum 2.0 GPA, including (a) the major or area of emphasis described in the Required Program, and (b) either the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- differentiate between scientifically-based sociological knowledge and hear-say, personal beliefs, and opinions.
- compare and contrast the major theoretical perspectives in sociology.
- define basic sociological terms and concepts regarding the nature of social life, social structures, socio-economic, political, and cultural institutions.
- analyze various sociological perspectives and their relevance to the understanding of social life in general and personal life in particular.
- construct and evaluate sociological data, utilize the scientific method, draw reasonable conclusions.
- identify and understand the ethical implications involved in research and their impact on social policy/public policies.
- apply sociological principles and theories to everyday life situations in regard to interaction with people from diverse backgrounds in a just, equitable, and inclusive manner.
The Sociology degree is designed to facilitate students' successful transfer to four-year colleges that prepare them for advanced study in a variety of graduate programs as well as a variety of career opportunities in social work, law, criminology, law enforcement, teaching, health services, urban planning and development, and research.