Study in Paris, France
- June 17, 2024 through July 24, 2024
- Paris, France
- (includes housing and fees associated with all group activities. Airfare is extra but a group flight from SFO to Paris will be offered.)
About the Program
The Folsom Lake College Paris Summer Program is a unique opportunity for students to study in and become familiar with one of the great cities of the world. For an immersive 5 weeks, students will study the history of France from the Roman Empire to the present, including the Middle Ages, the Early Modern Period, the Enlightenment, the French Revolution, and the World Wars.
Following the classroom meeting each day, students will continue their learning by visiting the sites where this history happened and by seeing the evidential artifacts—Roman ruins, medieval churches, early modern palaces, Enlightenment cafes, and of course the city’s stunning museums. Although French language skills are not required, students who have studied the language will be able to practice their skills, while all students will learn to navigate a new culture—living in a French apartment building, shopping at French markets, and making full use of the outstanding public transportation system, the Paris Métro.
Over the course of the month, students will gain familiarity with the river Seine and its beautiful bridges, the distinctive character of the city’s neighborhoods, and the varied architecture of the French capital. For the adventurous, Paris’s centrality within Europe’s rail system will enable them to set out on their own for weekend excursions. All program participants will come to know the famed Parisian monuments, experience French cuisine, relax in Paris’s essential parks, wander through the narrow streets of the Latin Quarter, and take in French fashion on the Grand Boulevards. The opportunity to stop and dive into a culture for five weeks while studying the history of a place is truly extraordinary. Participation in such a program will likely change how you see the world and your place in it, for as Victor Hugo wrote in Les Misérables, “to study in Paris is to be born in Paris.”
Spots in the program fill quickly! Please email Richard Mowrer firstname.lastname@example.org to access the registration link and confirm there is still space available in the program.
- $450 deposit Due: March 22, 2024
- Application Deadline: March 22, 2024
- All Program Costs Due: April 23, 2024
- Departure: June 17, 2024
- Return: July 24, 2024
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Guided tours of the Louvre Museum and the Opéra Garnier
- Visits to the basilica and crypt of Saint-Denis, the Sainte-Chappelle and Conciergerie, and les Invalides and the Army Museum
- Tours of the Cluny Museum, the Orsay Museum, Nissim de Camondo Museum, the Carnavalet Museum, and the Rodin Museum
- A full-day guided excursion to the Palace and Gardens of Versailles
- Two neighborhood walking tours with local guides
- A 3-unit Folsom Lake College transferable French History class (HIST 368)
- Lodging in a student residence with other Los Rios students
Scholarships are available through the Gilman International Scholarship Program and the Los Rios Foundation. The Gilman program application closes in March with awards announced in April/May. The Los Rios scholarship opens mid-January and closes late February with awards announced in March. Another scholarship opportunity is through the Fund for Education Abroad.