Skip to Content
Home Why ARC? Graduation and Transfer Petition to Graduate

How to Petition for a Degree

Students can file a petition for a degree using our online graduation petition form. Be prepared to fill out your personal information and each course that satisfies the general education areas and major requirements. All requirements must be met by the end of the term in which you petition.

We highly recommend that you meet with a counselor before you submit your graduation petition to ensure that you have met all the requirements for your program.


To petition for a degree, students must:

  1. Know their catalog year*
  2. Complete all degree requirements with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
  3. Complete at least 12 units toward the degree at American River College

* Usually, students follow the catalog year from which they began and maintained enrollment or the current catalog year. If you have questions about your catalog year, then please consult the information about catalog rights or a counselor.

Required Documentation

The following must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office for a degree petition to be processed:

  • Official transcripts of all coursework completed at colleges outside of the Los Rios Community College District#
  • Official copies of AP/IB/CLEP test scores, if applicable
  • A copy of DD214-military discharge papers, if veteran desires credit for military units
  • List of courses in progress if attending another college and official final transcripts will be required at the end of the semester for final degree evaluation
  • Copy of any required competency tests, if applicable

Students must complete all degree requirements by the end of the semester in which they petition for a degree.

# For coursework transferred to ARC from any institution other than a California community college, it is required that students make an appointment with an academic counselor and develop a curriculum planning sheet prior to submitting the graduation petition. External coursework may require a petition for course substitution/waiver approval through the department and use towards your program.

Petition Deadlines

  • Spring 2024: Friday, March 1, 2024
  • Summer 2024: Friday, July 5, 2024
  • Fall 2024: Friday, October 4, 2024
  • Spring 2025: Friday, March 7, 2025
  • Summer 2025: Friday, July 4, 2025

Approval or Denial

Final evaluations begin after final grades are posted at the end of each respective term/semester.

You will be notified via email if your petition is approved or denied.

If denied, then you will be notified of the missing requirements and advised to submit a new petition. If approved, then your degree will be posted to your transcript within three to four months after the end of the semester.

All diplomas will be mailed to the student's address on file. If you need an accommodation to pick up your diploma in person, then please contact the Admissions and Records office.

Petition Semester Petition Deadline Approval/Denial Date Mailed or Ready for Pick-Up
Summer First Friday in July Mid-November or December Mid-February
Fall First Friday in October End of April Mid-June
Spring First Friday in March Mid-September or October Mid-November

Catalog Rights

For the purpose of graduating or earning a certificate from any college in the Los Rios Community College District, a student who attends at least one session (whether quarter, semester, or summer) in each calendar year at any California community college, California State University, University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, may choose to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate, as follows:

  • Requirements that were in effect at the time the student was admitted to a Los Rios college
  • Requirements that were in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college
  • Requirements that were in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college

Please note:

  • A college may authorize or request substitution for discontinued courses.
  • Students who change their major field of study may be required to complete those requirements for the major in effect at the point of change.
  • For purposes of this section, "attendance" means taking classes in at least one session (semester or summer session) in each calendar year. Absence for attendance at another regionally accredited institution shall not be considered an interruption in attendance, per Los Rios Policy P-7242: Establishing Catalog Rights.