Skip to Content

Graduating from American River College

Home Why ARC? Graduation and Transfer Graduating from American River College

Graduation Requirements

We are so proud of our alumni – and we want you to be among them! Once you have identified a degree or certificate path, meet regularly with a counselor to make sure you are on track for completing your program.

Degree Programs

Students who plan to graduate with an associate in arts or science degree must meet the minimum associate degree graduation requirements.

Candidates for graduation must file a petition for graduation.

A review of your courses with a counselor to check graduation eligibility requirements may be helpful prior to submitting your graduation petition. You should also plan for a minimum of five months from the end of the semester before you receive your diploma or certificate.

All summer and fall degree recipients and spring degree candidates are invited to participate in an annual graduation ceremony, known as commencement, held at the end of each spring semester in May.

Certificate Programs

There are two types of certificates: Certificate of Achievement (with unit requirements of 18 or more) and Departmental Certificate (with unit requirements of less than 18 units). Depending on the program you select, training may take six months to two years.

Students may further their education by pursuing an associate degree or fulfilling university transfer requirements. After you complete the required courses, you can file a petition for certification online or meet with a counselor to file a petition in person.

Although some equivalent course work from other accredited institutions might apply toward a certificate, a minimum of 12 units must be completed at American River College. A grade of C or better is required in each course leading to a certificate. Certificate programs with requirements of fewer than 12 units may be completed by satisfying only the certificate program requirements (and do not need to meet residency).

Note: Per Title 5 Regulation 55070.b, certificates of less than 18 units cannot be posted to a student transcript unless the certificate has been submitted to and approved by the California Community College Chancellor's Office.

Additional Graduation Information