How to Petition for a Degree
To petition for a degree, students must:
- Know their catalog year*
- Complete all degree requirements with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Complete at least 12 units toward the degree at American River College
* Usually, students follow the current catalog year. However, if a student is following certificate requirements from an old catalog, then they must have maintained catalog rights.
The following must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office for a degree petition to be processed:
- Official transcripts of all coursework completed at colleges outside of the Los Rios Community College District
- Official copies of AP/IB/CLEP test scores, if applicable
- A copy of DD214-military discharge papers, if veteran desires credit for military units
- List of courses in progress if attending another college
- Official final transcripts will be required at the end of the semester for final degree evaluation
- Copy of any required competency tests, if applicable
Students must complete all degree requirements by the end of the semester in which they petition for a degree.
Petition Deadlines for 2021-2022
- Summer 2021: Friday, June 25, 2021
- Fall 2021: Friday, October 1, 2021
- Spring 2022: Friday, March 4, 2022
Approval or Denial
Final evaluations begin after final grades are posted at the end of each respective term/semester.
You will be notified via email if your petition is approved or denied.
If denied, then you will be notified of the missing requirements and advised to submit a new petition. If approved, then your degree will be posted to your transcript within three to four months after the end of the semester.
We mail degrees to the address listed on your petition, unless you choose to pick up your degree. You will be notified when your degree is available for pick-up.
|Petition Semester||Petition Deadline||Approval/Denial Date||Mailed or Ready for Pick-Up|
|Summer||Fourth Friday in June||Mid-November or December||Mid-February|
|Fall||First Friday in October||End of April||Mid-June|
|Spring||First Friday in March||Mid-September or October||Mid-November|
For the purpose of graduating or earning a certificate from any college in the Los Rios Community College District, a student who attends at least one session (whether quarter, semester, or summer) in each calendar year at any California community college, California State University, University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, may choose to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate, as follows:
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student was admitted to a Los Rios college
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college
- Requirements that were in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college
- A college may authorize or request substitution for discontinued courses.
- Students who change their major field of study may be required to complete those requirements for the major in effect at the point of change.
- For purposes of this section, "attendance" means taking classes in at least one session (semester or summer session) in each calendar year. Absence for attendance at another regionally accredited institution shall not be considered an interruption in attendance, per Los Rios Policy P-7242: Establishing Catalog Rights.