TRIO Upward Bound
Upward Bound (UB) is a project funded by the U.S. Department of Education and is administered by American River College (ARC). The purpose of this project is to encourage low-income and potential first generation college students to complete high school and go on to college. Our program serves 60 students from Center High School and 60 students at Inderkum High School.
Who can participate in Upward Bound
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident or in the process of becoming a resident.
- Must be First Generation (Neither parent has a BA/BS or 4yr. College degree).
- Family's Taxable Income must meet Federal TRIO Low-Income levels or family receives federal or state assistance such as food stamps, free lunch, AFDC, Cal-Works, Section 8, etc.
- Attend Center High School or Inderkum High School
- Be in grade 9th-11th
- Interested in attending college
- Participate in ALL Upward Bound events/activities during the academic year and six-week summer program
- Remain in the program through graduation in high school
1. Complete an application; this includes
* Proof of income
* Recent High School transcript
2. Pick up & Submit an application in the following ways:
* Center High School: pick up at Room 701.
* Inderkuhm High School: pick up at the Natomas Center, 2nd floor (follow the Upward Bound signs)
* Online (see link below), turn in at designated location at your school
3. Application will be evaluated and eligible applicants and their parent/guardian will be invited for an interview to complete the process.
4. Student & Parent/Guardian will be notified of the program's decision.
Upward Bound will provide participants with a variety of FREE educational, cultural and social programs listed below at target schools, American River College, and local college campus:
- College Preparation Activities
- Test Preparation
- Academic, financial, and career guidance
- Career exploration and aptitude assessment
- College Visits
- Social and Cultural Activities
- Once a month MANDATORY Saturday College
- Six-week MANDARORY Summer Program
- Workshops for the parents of participants
- Rewards for attendance and participation
- Personal one-on-one support from trained Upward Bound professional
Monday - Friday:
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Inderkum High School:
(follow the Upward Bound signs)
Center High School:
Center High School Room 701
Find Out What Our Program Can Do For You