Veterans Resource Center Office

We provide student Veterans and their dependents with the support and counseling they need to complete the education or training necessary to have successful careers.

The Vocational Rehabilitation VetSuccess Counselor works full time at American River College. 

The Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor's office is located in the Veterans Resource Center. Appointments or walk-ins are welcome. Phone: (916) 484-8135.

Vet Success on Campus is a partnership with the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VocRehab) program and ARC.

Educational Benefits

Forever GI Bill and Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act

View an overview of the changes that are being implemented to the GI Bill.

"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website.

Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of full-time educational benefits and is generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Based on the length of service, eligible individuals are entitled to a percentage of the benefit. This benefit offers some the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to their dependents. 

**If the Veteran discharged on or after January 1, 2013, then they fall under the Forever GI Bill and the 15-year time limit is eliminated.

** Read more about the Chapter 33 benefit and its components.

Post-9/11 Transfer of Entitlement Program

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows eligible Servicemembers to transfer all 36 months or a portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (unless DoD or the Department of Homeland Security has limited the number of transferable months).

The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing the VA Form 22-1990e. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request of the transfer of education benefits.

If you're eligible, you may transfer benefits to the following individuals:

  • Your spouse
  • One or more of your children
  • Any combination of spouse and children

The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and meets the following criteria:

  • Has at least six years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval and agrees to serve four additional years in the armed forces from the date of the election.
  • Has at least 10 years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval, is precluded by either standard policy (by Service Branch or DoD) or statute from committing to four additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute.
  • *As of August 1, 2018, GI Bill benefit must be transferred between 6 and 16 years of service, or lose out.*
  • Transfer requests are submitted and approved while the member is in the armed forces.


  • May start to use the benefit immediately
  • May use while the Servicemember remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty
  • Are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance while the member is on active duty
  • Can use for up to 15 years after the Servicemember's last separation from active duty


  • May start to use the benefit only after the Servicemember has completed at least 10 years of service
  • May use while the Servicemember remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty
  • May not use until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma or has reached age 18
  • Is entitled to the monthly housing allowance stipend even though the Servicemember is on active duty
  • Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after reaching 26-years of age

See more information on eligibility requirements and the transfer process.

View the official DoD website for information on transferability.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, can receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.


  • A child may begin an approved program of education before the age of 18.
  • Eligibility ends on the child's 33rd birthday.  **If first eligible after Jan. 1, 2013, then there is no time limit to use Fry Scholarship benefit**
  • A child's marital status has no effect on eligibility.

Surviving spouse:   

  • A surviving spouse can receive benefits for terms beginning on or after January 1, 2015. Training prior to January 1, 2015, is not eligible to receive benefits under Section 701.
  • Has 15 years from the date of the Servicemember's death to utilize benefits. **If first eligible after Jan. 1, 2013, then there is no time limit to use Fry Scholarship benefit**
  • If a spouse remarries, benefits end on the date of the remarriage.

Some dependents currently eligible for or already receiving benefits under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program may now be eligible for the Fry Scholarship. In most situations, beneficiaries are not able to use the same qualifying event for more than one benefit and may be required to make an irrevocable election between the DEA program and the Fry Scholarship.

See more Fry Scholarship information. 

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30

The MGIB-AD benefit may be available to Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty and contributed money to their GI Bill. This benefit provides up to 36 months of educational benefits and is generally payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. See additional Chapter 30 eligibility benefit information.

Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

The MGIB-SR benefit may be available to anyone who is currently fulfilling a six-year obligation to a branch of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserve, in addition to the Army National Guard and Air National Guard.

You must have completed initial active duty training (IADT) and remain in good standing while serving. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of full-time education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

See more information on the Chapter 1606 benefit.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment - Chapter 31

Vocational rehabilitation and employment services may be available to those Servicemembers with a service-connected disability.

Upon approval, you must meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor who will help to select a plan to address your educational needs. Apply and receive more information on the Chapter 31 benefit.

You can also call (916) 484-8377 to schedule an appointment with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.

Please meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for authorization (VA form 28-1905).

Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35

Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program may be available to anyone that is a child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions) or spouse of a Veteran who is one of the following:

  • Permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition
  • Listed as a POW or MIA
  • Or who died in service or of a service-connected disability

**As of August 1, 2018, the maximum months of benefits have been reduced from 45 months to 36 months.  If the benefit was used prior to August 1, 2018, then dependent is still eligible for 45 months of benefit.** See more information on the Chapter 35 benefit

Contact Veterans Resource Center

Dean: Kolleen Ostgaard
Admin. Asst.: Ana Lukawski
Supervisor: Robert Heryford
Contact Person: Amanda Carroll, Certifying Official
Certifying Official: Elena Skubenich
Certifying Official: Terri Hunnefeld
Academic Counselor: Robert Griffin
Student Personnel Assistant: Robert Smith

General Inquires Phone Number

General Contact e-mail


Monday to Friday:
7:30 am to 5:00 pm


Welcome and Support Center

Web Enabled Approval Management System (WEAMS)

WEAMS is designed to help you find institutions and programs approved for VA educational benefits by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For more information, please visit

The Veterans Resource Center staff does not determine eligibility for education benefits. All students who think they may be eligible should apply or contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551 or visit the following:

Department of Veterans Affairs