NextUp, known as CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support) gives current and former California foster youth extra support when pursuing their higher education goals at a local community college. The NextUp program offers eligible current and former foster youth support and services that could include help with books and supplies, transportation, tutoring, food and emergency housing. The Former Foster Youth Liaison is located in the EOP&S department and will work directly with you during appointments to help you succeed as a college student as well as a self-sufficient adult.
- Be accepted into EOP&S and have attended an EOP&S orientation
- Be a current or former California foster youth
- Verification of dependency as a foster youth established or continued by the court on or after your 16th birthday
- Be under 26 years old at the start of the academic year
- Be enrolled in at least 9 units or more to receive services, waitlist classes do not count (unless you qualify for a DSPS unit reduction service, contact the EOP&S office for details)
Steps To Apply:
- If you are a new student, you will need to first apply to American River College by completing an ARC application for admission and complete the college orientation.
- Take the Assessment/Placement Test or Self-Placement Test at ARC, bring a copy of your scores to our office.
- If you have attended college before please print your unofficial transcripts (if you attended any of the los Rios colleges) and official transcripts (if you attended any college outside of los Rios
- Qualify for the California College Promise Grant at American River College.
- Complete the EOP&S application.
Services Provided (Contingent Upon Funding)
EOP&S Services and:
- Referrals to support groups and workshops
- 4 year university campus tours
- Additional assistance with textbook and supplies (when funding permits)
- Limited monthly meal tickets and gas cards