DSPS Alternate Media
DSPS Alternate Media provides support for students who need instructional materials such as textbooks made available in alternative formats. Upon DSPS Counselor approval, receive digital copies and in some circumstances, audio (through LearningAlly), braille, or enlargement of your required textbooks.
Students must submit proof of purchase to the Assistive Technology Lab staff for requested texts in order to receive alternate media.
A DSPS Counselor needs to approve alternate media as an accommodation. Once approved, the next step is to complete the Online Alternate Media Request Form. Once your request is received, we check to see if we already have the media in your preferred format. If we do not have the media, we request it from the publisher. We can also convert media to your preferred format if needed.
Once we have received counselor approval, your proof of purchase for the requested media, and the media in your preferred format, we will contact you for delivery.
Processing time on media will vary by type, availability, and by the order in which your request was received. For alternative media inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
eBook and Document Readers
Kurzweil 3000Platform: Web-based and iPad
Price: Free for approved ARC students
- Web-based reader with cloud-based library
- Content can be uploaded by the user and by American River College
- Text to speech using high-quality Acapella voices
- View notation added in Kurzweil 3000
- Import documents from Google Drive, Bookshare, and your computer
- Highlight text
- Integrated dictionary, thesaurus, and translator
Kurzweil 3000 Login: Access Kurzweil 3000 login page. Note: You must have an account created by Alternative Media to access Kurzweil 3000.
Platform: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Kindle
- Make notes and highlight text
- Text to speech
- Access to any text in the Amazon.com Kindle Store (for students purchasing textbooks through the Kindle Store)
Download: Download the Kindle Reader for Windows. To download the Kindle reader on other platforms, please visit the App Store (iOS and Mac) or Play Store (Android).
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Platform: Windows and Mac
- Reads PDFs
- Capable of magnifying documents
- Text to speech Speech capabilities
- Download: Visit the download page for Adobe Acrobat Reader
View Full List of Assistive Software for your compatible device.