Guidelines on Posting of Publicity Materials
American River College (ARC) has established the following guidelines to provide uniform rules for campus-wide standards in posting publicity material, while also helping maintain the aesthetics of our facilities.
Please Note: Any item that has not followed the guidelines above is subject to removal.
Posters Must Be Approved
All posters must be stamped for approval by the Center for Leadership and Development (office located in the Student Center). Please allow appropriate time for approval of materials.
Guidelines for Approving Material
- College posting areas are not public forums. They are designed as a place for the college, its students, and staff to provide information about student activities and events, college-sponsored activities and events, course promotion, student election information, scholarship opportunities, job listings (on designated bulletin boards only), and personal goods and services like books for sale. Items for sale include rooms for rent and vehicles for sale on designated bulletin boards only. All postings must be sponsored by an ARC student, faculty or staff member, or a registered college organization or department.
- No postings shall include content which is obscene, libelous, or slanderous.
- No posting shall include content that comprises the following:
- Is based upon a legally protected classification (including race, gender or gender identity, physical or mental disability, and political affiliation)
- Unreasonably interferes with students’ or staffs’ work or learning environment, or which creates an intimidating, hostile or abusive work environment or which is sufficiently severe or pervasive as to adversely alter the conditions of the learning or work environment.
- Publicity shall be posted no earlier than 10 instructional days preceding the activity or event.
- The sponsoring individual, club, organization, or department is responsible for posting their own materials, once approved. All publicity must be removed by the organizing group by 4 pm on the day following the event. Non-dated information may be posted no more than 30 days.
- All materials to be posted must specifically state the following: the type of activity; the time, date, and location of the activity; and the sponsoring individual, club, organization, or department
Locations to Post
Approved materials may be posted on bulletin boards in the Learning Resource Center, Student Center, Science areas, and Davies Hall. Posting to walls and windows is discouraged because of the effect of tape residue on facilities. Glue material is not allowed. Materials shall not be placed over or obstruct the view of previously posted materials or directional, emergency, or warning signs.
Campus events are instructional and extracurricular activities, programs, or functions sponsored by staff, campus student organizations, or ARC community service. A maximum of 12 posters or flyers no larger than 18"x24" may be posted for each event.
Community events are local cultural and educational programs outside the campus' sponsorship. A maximum of 4 posters or flyers no larger than 18"x24" may be posted for each event.
Student Association election publicity will follow the guidelines established in the By-Laws of the Student Association.
Faculty Bulletin Boards
Individual faculty members have supervision of their respective boards. Materials are displayed here only by permission of respective faculty in accordance with Education Code 76120.
Contact the Center for Leadership and Development if you have any questions
(office located in the Student Center).