International Student Admission Steps
International students are those who are attending college in the US on an F-1 visa. International students are a very important part of the growing college community.
Not an International Student?
If you are not an international student, then you may need to follow different steps. Find out what type of student you are and get the correct steps for you!
Apply to American River College
- Applications Closed. Please Check Back February 2024.
Submit CCCApply Application
Create an OpenCCC account using a personal email (or log in if you already have an account) and fill out the online application for American River College.
- You do not need a social security number (SSN) to complete the application.
- If you submit your application without a social security number (SSN), work authorization SSN, or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), then you need to contact the International Student Program to process your application and send you your student ID number.
After you submit this application, save or print your confirmation page. You will need a copy of the confirmation page to submit with your international student application packet.
High School Seniors
If your high school completion date is before June and you are applying for the summer or fall semester, then enter the information on your application as if you have already graduated. Please note the “as of” dates outlined throughout the application.
Submit Additional Required Documents
American River College has SEVP certification, which allows it to issue Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status Form I-20. International students can use Form I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa to enter the US.
The following documents are required for American River College to issue Form I-20. Email your completed packet to email@example.com. Call (916) 484-8169 if you have questions.
All non-English documents must be translated into English.
- Copy of the confirmation page from your CCCApply Application to American River College (see step 1)
- International Student Application Packet, with required documentation attached
- Evidence of English proficiency via any of the following:
- An official TOEFL test result of 61(IBT) and 6.5 (Essentials), ARC Institution Code 4004
- IELTS test result of 6.0 minimum
- Transfer students only: US college official transcripts showing proof of successful completion with a letter grade of a college-level English writing course or passing the American River College ESL Assessment with a placement into ESL 315 or higher.
- Proof of financial support:
- Complete American River College Financial Requirements and Sponsor form (page 5 of the application packet).
- Include an official bank letter in the exchange rate of $42,239 USD (plus an additional $6,000 USD for each additional dependent). The letter must be in English and dated within three months of the application deadline.
- Proof of educational history:
- Copy of high school diploma or a high school transcript showing graduation
- Copy of college transcript(s)
- $50.00 USD non-refundable application fee payable to American River College
- Copy of passport photo page
- Students under age 18 must provide an official power of attorney from their home country stating guardianship
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine that is on the World Health Organization's approved COVID vaccine list
Transfer-In F-1 Students
Transfer-in F-1 students who have been attending school in the US must submit these additional documents:
- ARC Transfer Form. This will be completed by your current school's international student advisor.
- Copy of your most recent I-94, visa, and passport. Original visa and passport are verified in the office upon your arrival.
- Copy of your current school's I-20 and all other SEVIS I-20s.
Pre-Enrollment Requirements After Being Accepted to ARC
- Evidence of health insurance. You can purchase health insurance through JCB Insurance Solutions.
- Certification of negative Tuberculosis skin test.
Submit all required documents together by the following deadlines. We will not review incomplete applications.
Applicants Outside of the US (Applicants Who Will Need to Apply for F-1 Visa)
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: November 1
Transfer Applicants in the US (Applicants in the US With a Valid F-1 Status)
- Fall semester: June 1
- Spring semester: November 15
Set Up eServices and Los Rios Gmail
eServices is ARC's online student portal where students manage their information, records, classes, and more.
After your initial application is processed, you will receive an official international student admission letter from the International Student Center that contains your Los Rios student ID number (also known as a "W" number or "wID"). This is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W"; for example, W0000001.
Get Technology Help
Apply for an F-1 Visa
After you receive your Form I-20 from American River College, apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
- Schedule an interview appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate. Visit the US Embassy website to find a US Embassy or Consulate near you.
- Bring your Form I-20, Letter of Acceptance from American River College, and I-901 receipt to your interview with the US Embassy or Consulate, along with any other documents they request.
You can enter the United States with your I-20 and F-1 Visa 30 days prior to the start date on your I-20. The exact date is listed on your I-20.
Students must use a personal email, not a high school email, to complete their application. Free email accounts are available from many sources:
Note: While all of the providers listed above have millions of users and are widely trusted to be reliable and secure, OpenCCC and the CCC Chancellor's Office do not endorse any particular email providers, and will have no liability should any issues arise with a particular email provider.
You only need to submit one CCCApply application to take classes at any college in the Los Rios district – don't spend unnecessary time submitting separate applications for each college.
After your application is processed, we will email you a student ID number and instructions for next steps.
Students who have created a CCCApply account must log in using the account they created; they should not create a new account. Students who forgot their username/password can use the "Forgot" icon on the CCCApply site.
Students who use this function and still cannot find their username/password can call the OpenCCC helpline. If they don’t have their username or password and aren’t able to answer security questions to retrieve that information, then the student will have to contact CCCApply directly.
American River College does not have access to CCCApply account information.
International students must meet certain requirements to maintain their student status. Visit our International Students Office to learn more.