Spring Advanced Education Applications
- Fall 2021: We are currently only accepting applications for late start courses.
- Deadline: October 8th
- Spring 2022: November 1, 2021 - January 7, 2022
- P.3 Registration: Dec 16-17, 2021
- Spring term start date: January 15, 2022
Note: Advanced education students cannot enroll in classes before their enrollment date, which is Priority 3 registration (P-3).
Current High School Students
If you are a current high school student, then you may be eligible to concurrently enroll in two college courses each semester as an advanced education student if all of the following are true:
- You have completed the 10th grade or will be at least 16 years old by the first day of instruction
- You demonstrate exemplary academic achievement as evidenced by a GPA of 2.7 or above, an analysis of transcripts, assessment results, letters of support from high school counselors and teachers, and/or other academic success indicators
- The course you want to take is not available to you at your school
- The course is not remedial (1-99 classes)
- The course is not being repeated due to an unsatisfactory grade
- The course is for advanced study and you are able to demonstrate adequate preparation and completed prerequisites for the course
Packet Submission Deadlines and Orientations
Students need to submit their complete Advanced Education packet to either the Advanced Education email (AdvancedEd@arc.losrios.edu) or to the ARC Main Counseling Center Advanced Education dropbox by one of the packet submission deadlines. Students receive a confirmation email within four business days to their Los Rios Gmail.
Advanced Education/Dual Enrollment Steps
The following steps are required to complete the Advanced Education or Dual Enrollment process. All steps must be completed before the semester begins.
Complete the ARC application online and indicate that you are an Advanced Education student and not a new student (and not a continuing student, if you have taken classes at ARC before).
After you receive your Los Rios student ID number, log in to eServices with your student ID number, set up your eServices password, and select your ARC major.
Log in to eServices and complete the Supplemental Enrollment form.
Read and complete the entire two-page Advanced Education Application.
The application must include requested courses and be approved by your high school principal or authorized designee and requires signatures from you (both pages), your parent/guardian, and your high school principal/authorized designee. You can list up to four course options; however, you may only enroll in two courses during a given semester.
Your application packet must include the following documents:
- Copy of high school transcript
- High school class schedule (fall and spring only; not required for summer semester)
- Private School Affidavit: Please provide a copy of the private or home school affidavit if your school is not listed here
- Documentation of age (if not provided on your high school transcript)
It is highly recommended that new students complete the Los Rios online orientation.
If your course has an English or math prerequisite, then your proof of prerequisite – or your AP/IB or EAP score – must be included in your packet. If you do not have test scores, then please take a copy of your high school transcript to the Assessment Center (located in the Welcome and Support Center building) to receive your math placement.
American River College's Interim Advanced Education Placement Guidelines for Math and English
Please view our math pathways to determine the correct math course for your major.
- Students who have completed 10th grade with a cumulative gpa of 2.7 or higher may take the appropriate math course.
- The math placement for Advanced Ed students will be based upon the student's in-progress cumulative gpa and the last math course completed.
- Students who have completed 10th grade with a cumulative gpa of 2.6 or higher may take ENGWR 300.
- Students who have completed 10th grade with a cumulative gpa of 2.6 to 2.99 may take ENGWR 300 but are strongly recommended to also take ENGWR 306, Writing Across the Curriculum AND they are required to submit a letter of support from their last or current high school English teacher stating that the student is capable of college-level work.
Note: Assessment testing is required for placement into transfer-level ESL courses. For more information regarding all assessment tests and the new standard assessment practices in the Los Rios district, please visit the placement section on our website.
Submit your Advanced Education packet via email to AdvancedEd@arc.losrios.edu by the packet submission deadline.
After submitting your packet, check your Los Rios Gmail, as you will receive one of the following confirmation emails:
- Approval with a link to register for a orientation
- Missing a Document with instructions on submitting missing materials
- Denial with further instructions.
Once you receive an approval confirmation email, you will be invited to register for a advanced education orientation. At this session a counselor will provide you information regarding next steps as well as your advanced education enrollment slip, which is required to enroll in classes.
In person orientations are not being held during COVID-19 closures. You will receive enrollment steps in your confirmation email after submitting your packet.
Advanced education students must enroll in person at the Admission and Records counter or Connect Center (Main campus or Natomas campus) with their green advanced education enrollment slip and a photo ID.
Note: Students are responsible for being aware of and adhering to all policies, procedures, and deadlines (including add/drop deadlines). Pay your universal transit pass (UTP) fee and student representation fees; enrollment fees are waived for advanced education students. International student fees apply. For more information, contact Admissions & Records.
Contact your Advanced Education Counseling Team at email@example.com.
We will reply to your inquiry within three business days.