Los Rios is eliminating eligible student debt! The COVID-19 pandemic created unforeseen financial stresses for many students, so we are providing one-time debt forgiveness to support students in their academic goals.
Eligible students do not need to take any action – there are no applications or forms to fill out.
Student and Debt Eligibility
The general eligibility criteria for student debt forgiveness is as follows:
- The student must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) between March 2020 and the end of the summer 2021 term.
- After submitting their financial aid application, the student must have had an expected family contribution (EFC) below $5,712. Learn more about EFC at the Federal Student Aid website.
- The student must have had outstanding debt on September 29, 2021, that was incurred between the start of the pandemic in March 2020 and the end of the summer 2021 semester.
Only Los Rios debt is forgiven. Third-party debt or debt incurred before March 2020 or after the summer 2021 semester is not forgiven under this program. Third-party debt that does not qualify for forgiveness includes:
- Universal Transit Pass (UTP) fees
- Student Representation fees
If your student debt has been forgiven, then you will see a line item in your student account titled Student Debt Write Off.