Certificate of Achievement
Technical Communications Certificate
This certificate offers an interdisciplinary program of courses in Technical Communications, Art/New Media, and Computer Information Systems to prepare students for a variety of technical writing and professional communication careers. The certificate includes the theory, writing skills, design background, and computer applications knowledge needed for jobs in technical communication.
Catalog Date: June 1, 2021
|Course Code||Course Title||Units|
|ARTNM 352||Design for Publication (3)||2 - 3|
|or CISA 330||Desktop Publishing (2)|
|CISA 305||Beginning Word Processing (2)||2 - 3|
|or BUSTEC 310||Introduction to Word/Information Processing (3)|
|CISW 300||Web Publishing||3|
|TECCOM 300||Introduction to Technical/Professional Communication||3|
|TECCOM 310||Writing Digital Content||1|
|TECCOM 330||Writing Technical Manuals||1|
|A minimum of 3 units from the following:||3|
|BUS 100||English for the Professional (3)|
|BUS 310||Business Communications (3)|
|CISW 321||Web Site Development using Dreamweaver (3)|
|Total Units:||15 - 17|
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- analyze audience information needs.
- compose concise, clearly written professional documents organized with the audiences' needs in mind.
- design print and online resources that communicate organizations' values, enhance readability, and are easy to use.
- demonstrate basic skills in the use of word processing, page design, and web design applications.
- evaluate organizations' communication goals and needs based on technical writing principles.
Technical communicators find employment in medical, scientific, high tech, business, university, and government settings. They may write white papers, tutorials, reference and procedure manuals, help systems, user assistance video scripts, grants and proposals, and more.