The Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) is an initiative to increase the number of students that find quality, paid internships in their field of study. Through a partnership with the California Student Aid Commission, employers can hire LAEP-eligible students and be reimbursed for up to 100% of the student's wage. Students may view and apply for these positions in Handshake.
Benefits of LAEP
The Learning-Aligned Employment Program:
- Provides financial compensation while gaining work experience in your field of study
- Builds your resume
- Expands your professional network and connections
- Refines your career goals
Impact on Financial Aid
LAEP is a form of financial aid and is included in your total financial aid package. LAEP wages may not exceed your unmet need for the academic year.
Unlike other types of financial aid, LAEP earnings are not applied directly to your tuition and fees. Students who participate in LAEP internships receive the funds in a paycheck as they earn them, based on hours worked, just like a normal job.
Contact your Financial Aid Office if you have questions.
To be eligible for LAEP, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be classified as a California resident
- Be eligible to work in the US
- Be enrolled at least half-time across all Los Rios campuses (six units for spring or fall; three units for summer)
- Meet satisfactory academic progress standards in a program leading to a degree or certificate at home college
- Have demonstrated an unmet financial need
How to Check Eligibility
Students who are eligible to participate in LAEP will be sent an announcement in Handshake and eServices. If you are unsure of your eligibility, then check your messages in eServices. From the student homepage, click on the Message Center and type LAEP in the search box. Select the message with the subject line: You're Eligible for the Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP). If you did not receive this message, then you are not eligible for LAEP at this time.
Next Steps for Interested Students
- Submit the Student Interest Form if you're interested in obtaining a paid internship through LAEP.
- Apply for LAEP internships in Handshake.
- If you are selected for an LAEP internship, then you will be required to complete an LAEP Student Participation Form, which will be emailed to you.
For resume and interview tips, check out the Student Internship Guide.
Questions? Email us at LAEP@losrios.edu.
- Haley Lepper
- Student Support Specialist, Student Access & Online Engagement
- (916) 563-3216
Info for Employers
Are you an employer looking to fund internships through LAEP? LAEP can reimburse eligible employers for 50% to 100% of student salaries.