Skip to Content


Prerequisites, Corequisites, and Advisories

Enrollment Conditions

Many courses and educational programs have enrollment conditions, such as prerequisites, corequisites, or advisories on recommended preparation. These faculty-approved conditions are considered necessary and appropriate to ensure that students are adequately prepared to succeed in the course or educational program. It is the student's responsibility to meet any and all enrollment conditions.

Students may challenge a prerequisite requirement through the challenge process.


A prerequisite is a course that a student is required to take to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in another course or educational program. For example, in order to take ENGWR 301, a student must have already completed ENGWR 300 with a grade of C or better.


A corequisite is a course that a student is required to take during the same semester as another course, or prior to another course. For example, a student needs to take GEOL 300 at the same time as GEOL 301 (or before taking GEOL 301).


An advisory is a condition of enrollment when a student is advised, but not required to meet before, or in conjunction with, enrollment in a course or educational program.

Verifying Prerequisites

Students enrolled in courses that have a prerequisite must provide verification to the instructor that they have met the prerequisite. Supporting evidence includes:

  • A transcript that verifies the student has earned a C or better in the prerequisite course. Students can print an unofficial transcripts in eServices. Instructors have access to this information on their roster if the class was taken within Los Rios Community College District since 2003 (prior course information cannot be viewed).
  • English and/or math placement results from Los Rios Community College District

If a student enrolls in a course and does not meet the prerequisite, then the instructor must drop the student from the course.

Verifying Corequisites

Your current class schedule provides verification of current enrollment in a corequisite course. Alternatively, if you took the corequisite previously, then your transcript shows prior completion of the corequisite course.

Challenge Process

If you do not have the supporting evidence to verify a prerequisite or corequisite but you believe that you should qualify to enroll in the course, then you may challenge a prerequisite or corequisite.

Criteria for challenging a prerequisite or corequisite include:

  • You have knowledge or ability to succeed in the course with the prerequisite.
  • The prerequisite course is not readily available.
  • You believe that the prerequisite is discriminatory or being applied in a discriminatory manner.
  • You believe that the prerequisite was established in violation of regulations and/or the established district-approved policy and procedures.

To challenge a prerequisite or corequisite:

  1. Submit a Prerequisite Equivalency Form (PDF) – along with any supporting documentation – to the instructional department (locations are listed on form) at least one week prior to the start of instruction.
  2. Your challenge will be reviewed by the department's prerequisite challenge committee.
  3. You will be informed in writing of the committee's determination within five working days of the review.

Exception to the Prerequisite Process – English and Math

The prerequisite for all 300-level English courses (ENGWR, ENGED, and ENGCW) and mathematics courses (MATH and STAT) must be cleared prior to enrollment.

You will be automatically cleared to enroll in an English or math class if:

  • You are currently enrolled in the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college (you must earn a C or better grade or you will be automatically dropped from the higher level course before the new semester begins).
  • You have completed and passed the appropriate prerequisite course at a Los Rios college.
  • You have been placed into the math or English course you want to add.

If you completed the equivalent prerequisite course with a grade of C or better at a college or university that is on the Approved Math External Equivalency List (PDF) or Approved English External Equivalency List (PDF) then:

  • Submit unofficial or official transcripts (unless already on file with the Admissions and Records office) along with the Prerequisite Equivalency Form (PDF) to the Admissions and Records office. Please Note: In-progress coursework cannot be used.
  • If verified through a transcript, then the external course will be posted as transfer credit on your unofficial transcript, which will clear enrollment for math courses. This process may take three to five business days, so plan ahead.

If you did not find your course on the approved equivalency lists above – but you believe you have the knowledge or ability to succeed in an English or math course through other college/university coursework (or other credentials) – then you may challenge the prerequisite via the challenge process.